In Spring 1 our topic will be ‘Rio de Vida'…
Dancing feet, step to the samba beat. Shake it, shimmy, hands in the air, wave your flags in the cool night air. Come join the party down in Rio, keeping the rhythm with your party shaker. Bright colours, patterns and feathers. Can you make a headdress or party mask? Meet magical creatures from Brazil’s myths and legends and create your own too. Be as fancy as you like. Let’s get down to Rio where football is king, and practise our skills on golden beaches. Now we need to plan a celebration with fabulous music and song. Bem-vindo ao Brasil os meus amigos!
Help your child prepare for their project
Celebrations are exciting for everyone. Why not look through some old photos together and talk about any celebrations taking place in the pictures? Alternatively, use a children’s atlas to discover countries around the world. Read the name of each country carefully and find out what it would be like to live there.
Read Write Inc - Phonics and Spelling
At Kneesall School we use the Read Write Inc. scheme for Phonics and Spelling. It is a very popular and successful literacy programme. Your child will learn to read in a very simple way. He or she will learn to:
1. Read letters by their ‘sounds’
2. Blend these sounds into words
3. Read the words in a story.
The sounds are split into 3 sets and children read books that contain sounds that they have already learnt to enable them to build their confidence and therefore read more fluently. Fluency in reading is very important as it allows the children to focus on understanding what they are reading rather than having to focus on decoding to read.
First, your child will learn to read:
• Set 1 Speed Sounds: these are sounds written with one letter: m a s d t i n p g o c k u b f e l h r j v y w z x and sounds written with two letters (your child will call these ‘special friends’): sh th ch qu ng nk ck
• Words containing these sounds, by sound-blending, e.g. m–a–t mat, c–a–t cat, g–o–t got, f–i–sh fish, s–p–o–t spot, b–e–s–t best, s–p–l–a–sh splash
• Red, Green and Purple Storybooks.
Second, he or she will learn to read:
• Set 2 Speed Sounds: ay ee igh ow oo oo ar or air ir ou oy
• Words containing these sounds
• Pink, Orange and Yellow Storybooks.
Third, he or she will learn to read:
• Set 3 Speed Sounds: ea oi a-e i-e o-e u-e aw are ur er ow ai oa ew ire ear ure
• Words containing these sounds
• Blue and Grey Storybooks.
Children will learn an associated phrase for each of the set 2 and 3 Speed Sounds to help to remember them. (Please see attached document below).
Each daily RWI lesson consists of a Speed Sound lesson, a chance to practise reading words from their current book, an independent read of the current book and a writing activity based on the book.
One book last for three days over which children also learn about grammar and do comprehension activities linked to the book.
The Oxford Owl website has loads of really useful resources to help you support your child:
In Year 2, as the children come to the end of the Phonics scheme, they start the Spelling scheme. This looks more closely at spelling, for example different ways of spelling the same sound.
Maths in Key Stage One
In Maths we teach the different areas in blocks. These blocks are: